Tuesday, June 3, 2008

14 Hours at the Poll Place

I woke up at 5:00 today. That's earlier than all of the days we woke up at DC. It was treacherous. But it was totally worth the nearly $100 bucks I got out of it. Like all I did for 14 hours was read 5 books and listen to some of the most eye-opening stories you can ever hear. Because they were real-life stories from people who have lived real American lives. Like...

Angela. She's 24, lives with her workaholic, ex-navy mother and literally retarded dad (who thought they were divorced for 15 years, but it turned out her dad never signed the papers and took advantage of her social security number all his life while having an affair with another psychopath woman), her 4-year-old daughter with bright green eyes, and her two half-brothers her father had with the crazy woman. She is forced to care for her invalid dad and her brothers, who are not even teenagers. She and her father have a restraining order against the psycho mother; she has another restraining order against her ex-boyfriend who refuses to pay child support, and she has been committed credit card and bank fraud against 3 times. Harsh harsh life. Oh, and she used to work at Bancroft when she was 16 stitching the itchy tags by hand on CCS uniform. Oh, and she's been coming to my parent's donut shop since she was 5, and she recognized my mother. What a small world. Truly, what a small world I have been living in for the last 16 years. Such a sheltered, ignorant, carefree world.

The first thing I'm going to do when I turn 18 (okay, maybe I'm exaggerrating) is REGISTER TO VOTE! I'm very excited about taking part in the government now, and I really feel it's our duty as American citizens to voice our opinions and stuff like that. Like, isn't that what all the American Revolutionist soldiers, the suffraggettes, the civil rights people fought for? So that American citizens can have the rights of religion, speech, press, pursuit of happiness...etc? So that we can vote for our president, city councils, and laws freely without having to dodge bullets in the process of doing so like what's going on in Afghanistan and Iraq? I think I'd like to enjoy, fully exercise the freedom and privileges I have, that so many have given their lives for me to do so. I'm proud to live in America; I'm going to vote. Besides, in the words of bold Angela: "I don't take any [complain]ing about our government, policies, school or health care systems from anyone unless they get their [butt] down here and vote."

Did you know they can repossess tattoos nowadays? Ouch.

2 comments:

Candice Lui said...

Wow, you had a busy day.
That Angela story is really confusing and strange compared to our lives.

What you said about how people fought for our rights we have today, kinda makes me want to vote in the future.

Interesting blog.

JustANordinaryGUY said...

Wow, it's as if that Angela person was related to you somehow 0_0. and 100$ ?!! aww i wish i could've went, but i had a dentist appointment >.>